• Blog >
  • Toxic Ingestion
RSS Feed

Toxic Ingestion

Our veterinarians at Morgan Pet Clinic in West Omaha provide the quality veterinary care that your furry friend needs. We have specialized in a variety of services from preventative care to general surgery for traditional pets, pocket pets, rabbits, and birds since 2003. We have a team of top-notch veterinarians to suit your pet’s needs.

Something that is almost guaranteed to happen in every pet owner’s life is toxic ingestion. Whether your puppy tore into the trash and ate three-day-old avocado toast that you just took out of your child’s room or your cat got into the garage and ingested antifreeze, our veterinarians are here for your pet when they need emergency care.

What to Expect

The most crucial part of treating toxic ingestion is knowing what your pet has ingested. If possible, bring anything related to the toxin with you to Morgan Pet Clinic. The veterinarian will examine your pet as soon as all of the baseline parameters are covered, such as weight, age, heart rate, respiratory efforts, blood pressure, and more. Once those bases are covered, the decontamination process begins.

Decontamination is removing or neutralizing all of the toxins in the body. The goal is to inhibit the absorption or induce excretion from the patient’s body. The most common methods are emesis induction, activated charcoal, and colonic enemas. Patients typically are hospitalized for multiple hours or days depending on the severity of the condition. While hospitalized, the pet is continually monitored and given the supportive care needed to return to a stable, healthy state.

What to Watch Out For

Common household toxins for dogs:

  • Over the counter medications
  • Alcohol
  • Antifreeze
  • Sugar-free gum and mints (Xylitol)
  • Grapes and raisins
  • Avocados, onions, garlic, chocolate
  • Common household toxins for cats:
  • Over the counter medications
  • Chocolate, onions, garlic
  • Household plants
  • Chemicals, cleaners, antifreeze, paint

Get Emergency Pet Care in West Omaha, NE

If you suspect your pet has ingested something poisonous, do not hesitate to bring your pet to our office! Prompt treatment often plays a crucial role when comes to dealing with toxic ingestion in pets. Call our team at Morgan Pet Clinic today at (402) 895-1001 or reach us through our website by using our online contact form for non-emergencies.

Location

Find us on the map

Office Hours

Our Regular Schedule

Monday:

08:00 AM

06:00 PM

Tuesday:

08:00 AM

08:00 PM

Wednesday:

08:00 AM

08:00 PM

Thursday:

08:00 AM

08:00 PM

Friday:

08:00 AM

06:00 PM

Saturday:

08:00 AM

02:00 PM

Sunday:

Closed

Closed

Testimonials

Feedback from our clients

  • "Dr Morgan, Dr Clark, Dr Sommer and all the vet techs are amazing and friendly. We live in Council Bluffs and will not go anywhere else. I have taken my 3 dogs there for years and love the care and advice we have received. Thumbs up Morgan Animal Clinic."
    Yevonne Osborne H.
  • "I love Morgan pet clinic. I was a client ing with my dog cuddles since 2007. I moved away from the area for 4 years but I'm back and so happy with my dog and cats care"
    Camille Christine S.
  • "Dr. Clark is amazing and so are the Vet Techs! We have received excellent care for our St. Bernard puppy there and plan on taking her there forever."
    Devin B.